Compassion UK is a leading children’s charity, registered in the England and Wales (1077216) and Scotland (SC045059). We are also a company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales (03719092).
This Privacy Notice explains what to expect when Compassion UK collects and uses your personal information through the Compassion Experience UK website. We encourage you to read this notice carefully and if you’d like to learn more about our data protection and privacy policies or get further clarification, please contact our friendly team and we will be happy to assist.
Our Data Protection Officer is Marsha Jones. You can contact her at: Compassion UK, Compassion House, Barley Way, Fleet, Hampshire, GU51 2UT
Phone: 01932 836 490 or Email: email@example.com
HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect information when you sign up to reserve a timeslot for a Compassion Experience event either online on in person.
THE PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- Personal identifiers such as your name
- Contact details including email and mobile telephone number
- Compassion Experience event date and location where you register to attend
- Records of your contact with us
WHY WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- For the registration and administration of the Compassion Experience UK visit.
- To provide online access to update or cancel information about your reservation.
When you visit our website, we may gather information about which pages you visit to help us improve and provide you with the best service.
To keep you informed about our work. We will ask for your permission to contact you by email for marketing purposes. You can update your permission at any time by:
Calling our friendly team on 01932 836 490
Clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link included in each email communication we send
THE LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Compassion UK will rely on the following legal bases to process your personal information:
- Legitimate Interest
We will process your information for a purpose you would reasonably expect. We will have pre-determined that it is necessary to process your information for this purpose and balanced this with your rights and interests. For example, when you register for a place at a Compassion Experience, we use your name and contact details to manage the reservation satisfactorily
We give you the choice and control over our processing activities where relevant. For example, we ask for your permission to send you marketing information after the event by email or text about Compassion’s work.
WHO WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION WITH
Compassion UK is working in partnership with Brewco Marketing Group Limited to deliver the Compassion Experience. Brewco is an authorised affiliate of Mobile Marketing Solutions, Inc based outside the European Economic Area (EEA). We only share personal information necessary to administrate your Compassion Experience visit. We will never sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties for marketing purposes. We monitor information security compliance and have written contracts which obligate Brewco to process your personal information only on our instructions and in accordance with applicable data protection and privacy laws.
Compassion UK and any of its affiliate entities may be under duty to disclose your personal information where required in order to comply with any legal obligation.
HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR DATA FOR
Compassion UK will only keep your personal information period it is required and in accordance with our data retention schedule and in accordance with statutory requirements. Our retention criteria is based on the following in order of importance:
- Legal requirements – i.e. where legislation dictates the length of time personal information should be held for.
- Industry or best practice standards.
- Archival needs (permanent preservation).
- Decision by our senior management – i.e. in the absence of guidance from 1. to 3. above.
If you have indicated that you do not wish to hear from us in the future, we may keep the minimum information necessary to ensure we avoid contacting you any further.
YOUR INFORMATION RIGHTS AND CHOICES
Under data protection law, you have the right:
- To request to obtain copies of the personal information Compassion UK holds about you. You can make a request verbally or in writing. If you make you request verbally, we will ask that you also follow up in writing so that we can have a record of your request.
- To correct or update your personal information processed by Compassion UK which you think is inaccurate or incomplete.
- To ask Compassion UK to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
- To ask Compassion UK to restrict or limit the way we use your personal information.
- To object to the use of your personal information in certain circumstances where Compassion UK has no legitimate reason for continued use.
- To object to the use of your personal information for marketing purposes.
- To ask Compassion UK to transfer the information you have given us from one organisation to another or give it to you.
- To choose whether or not to receive marketing communication from us by email, text or telephone.
- To know about the cookies Compassion UK uses, so that you can decide whether to give us permission to store a cookie on your device. Please see the Cookies section for more information.
For more information about your information rights visit www.ico.org.uk
REPORTING CONCERNS OR COMPLIMENTS
Please contact us if you wish to raise a concern about Compassion UK’s handling of your personal information, or compliment what you think we have done well.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office about how we manage your data.
CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
Compassion UK will review our privacy notice regularly. The terms of this notice may be updated at any time for example, in the event of changes in law and how we operate. Please do check our website from time to time. If there are any significant changes in the way we process your personal information, we will provide a prominent notice on our website or send a notification. This notice was last updated in May 2018.
Thank you from everyone at Compassion.
Here is a brief overview of the types of cookies we use on the Compassion UK websites, which consist of four categories:
CMS cookies – the Compassion Experience UK website is created in a CMS (Content Management System) based in Django, which places a small number of standard cookies on your computer as you use it. Other Compassion websites (for example, Compassion Challenges, Compassion UK, Compassion Explorers) are created in different CMS systems and they can create cookies too. Additional cookies will be placed on your computer if you are an editor on one or more of these CMS systems (for example if you are a Compassion UK staff member or an IT contractor).
Cookies to improve your experience – we use a small number of cookies on our website to help you get the best experience. For example, we place a cookie on your computer when you first log-in to myCompassion, to save you logging in the future. This cookie is removed when you log out of myCompassion. Similarly, the first time you load the Compassion UK homepage, you will see a notice at top of the page about cookies. We place a cookie on your computer when you press ‘X’, so that you don’t see this notice in future. We also embed YouTube and Vimeo films on our website regularly. We are unable to prevent these sites, or external domains, from collecting information on your usage of this embedded content. If you are not logged in to these external services then they will not know who you are but are likely to gather anonymous usage information for example, number of views, plays, loads etc.
How to manage your cookie settings
Many web browsers such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari, will allow some control over cookies through their settings. To manage your cookie settings, please refer to your browser software. For more information about cookies and how to delete them, visit www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org